Monday, August 12, 2013

Book Review: Where'd You Go Bernadette?

This past year, I have fallen back in love with the library (I think I finally owned up to the fact that we are going to be renting at our current place for a couple more years and got back on the library wagon), and what a love affair it has been. One of the things I have struggled with since becoming a mama is having time for Harper, career, husband, and myself. When I am able to go to bed a bit early with a cup of tea and a good book from the library, I get that time and it completely recharges me and helps me be a better mommy.

So, for my first book review on the blog! And, it's a good one. This book was recommended to me by my amazing mother-in-law (seriously, people. I lucked out with the best mil in the universe) when we were talking about books on the Fourth of July.

Where'd You Go Bernadette? is a story about Bernadette Fox, an eccentric stay-at-home mom with an amazing daughter named Bee who attends Galer Street School, an a Microsoft Exec. husband Elgin. Being that I'm immersed in the world of Independent Schools here on the eastside, the beginning pulled me in and was completely and hysterically relatable. This is a no-holds-barred peek into that scene, and was accurate to a fault. Taking place in Seattle, it was refreshing to read such an honest take from the family perspective (since I most often see it the other way).

Bernadette is a great character that is easy to fall in love with and see what antics befall her next. Her daughter Bee, is also a well written character. This book was a great summer read, as I devoured it within a week (with an infant thank you very much). The writing style is fun, as it's snippets of emails between characters and with some explanations from Bee to tie it all together. You won't believe where Bernadette, an award winning architect, ends up!

Completely recommend this fun read!

1 comment:

  1. We are reading this for our October book club at work and I'm so excited!

    Sarah @ Life As Always

    ReplyDelete